Late Deadline for film submissions November 1, 2018
SUBMIT VIA FilmFreeway.com
Having completed its sixth year, the Annapolis Film Festival has become a highly anticipated and well-attended event embraced by the City of Annapolis. Nestled on the banks of the Chesapeake Bay, Annapolis is best known for its rich colonial, African-American, and naval history. As a vacation destination, it charms its tourists with many restaurants, museums, and galleries.
The film festival has had an extraordinary six years screening at unique venues in the town’s historic district. All venues are walkable within the city center and provide filmmakers with a high-quality digital presentation. Attendance last year exceeded over 16,000.
The Annapolis Film Festival is seeking approximately 75 films to be selected and shown March 21-24, 2019. The festival is known for its quality slate and a strong line-up of both documentary and narrative films (both short and
feature-length) from emerging and established filmmakers. We present a balanced program consisting of films with a common emphasis on storytelling excellence and/or innovative vision and cinematic artistry.
In addition to our commitment to screen the newest acclaimed films and premieres, we are also interested in films with nautical and environmental themes, films highlighting diverse cultures including African American, Latino, Asian and Jewish experiences as well as LGBTQ and women-centric perspectives.
We will present Jury Awards and Audience Awards for Best Narrative Feature and Best Documentary Feature as well as Narrative Short and Documentary Short. A select number of films in each category will be nominated and judged by a Jury of industry professionals. The Audience Awards in all categories will be screened in the “Best of Fest” program on the last night of the festival.
After a successful launch during the 2018 Annapolis Film Festival, we will introduce our “Shorts Challenge,” a live pitch competition during a programming block of the festival. The winner will receive a camera/sound/post-production package to help get their short film made.
For more details on this exciting new opportunity please see our website at www.annapolisfilmfestival.com.
Beyond the screenings, the festival offers ample networking opportunities with industry and filmmaker guests, as well as top-notch panels which cover current industry topics, and our popular Coffee Talks, all with leading industry professionals. Filmmakers will have an opportunity to participate in these events, as well as numerous parties and receptions that provide a fun and relaxed environment to meet and discuss your work with industry colleagues.
Past season guests have included iconic director, Rob Reiner (LBJ), esteemed documentarian Albert Maysles (Grey Gardens, Gimme Shelter), actress Joanne Froggatt (Downton Abbey), actor Jeffrey Donovan (Burn Notice), S. Epatha Merkerson (Law and Order, Lincoln), actor Rory Culkin (Gabriel), Independent Spirt Award-winning filmmakers Matt Spicer (Ingrid Goes West) and Joshua Marston (Come Sunday, Maria Full of Grace), Oscar-winning screenwriter David S. Ward (The Sting), and noted speaker/writer/producer Ambassador Shabazz.
As a rapidly growing festival, the AFF plans to continue to strengthen our reputation by bringing top films to this beautiful city and to invite filmmakers to showcase global perspectives and independent thought to a community that truly embraces the art of filmmaking.
Visiting filmmakers have been thrilled with the community’s response.
One filmmaker claimed, “this festival has the smartest audiences and the most community engagement we have seen on the festival circuit”.
The mission of the Annapolis Film Festival is to encourage and grant the development of all aspects of the creative arts in and around Annapolis through the cinema experience. With independent films, panels and special showcases that will inspire, enlighten and entertain diverse audiences on a variety of topics, the festival will ensure the promotion of Annapolis as a cultural arts center. It will also define the economic impact on the town as community engagement broadens.
Awards & Prizes
Juried Narrative Feature
Juried Documentary Feature
Juried Narrative Short
Juried Documentary Short
Audience Awards – Narrative Feature
Audience Awards – Documentary Feature
Audience Awards – Narrative Short
Audience Award – Documentary Short
Rules & Terms
I agree to the Rules & Terms as follows:
1.) The Annapolis Film Festival is accepting entries with a completion date after June 30, 2017. Submissions to the Annapolis Film Festival, Inc. must not be scheduled for theatrical release or broadcast on television prior to April 2019. Submissions must not have had prior public screenings in the Annapolis area.
2.) All films submitted must be free from any legal disputes and third-party claims and filmmaker must have cleared all rights for music and public exhibition.
3.) Please note that for preview purposes the festival accepts secured online screeners through our online submission platform, that are NTSC format digital .mov or .mp4 files or via a password protected online link.
4.) Entries should be accompanied by any required materials (e.g.
student IDs, fees, and press kits).
5.) Submissions must be in English or subtitled in English.
6.) Narrative and documentary feature films must have a run time of a minimum of 40 minutes. Short films must have a run time of under 40 minutes.
7.) Filmmakers will be notified by approximately January 11, 2019, if their film has been accepted to the Annapolis Film Festival, Inc.
8.) Upon acceptance, exhibition copies and additional press materials will be requested. Selected films will be screened in the following exhibition formats: Digital files preferred (not for download via links), but will arrive on hard drive or thumb drive and DCP (for select venues). Each film must have two Bluray backups. Exhibition and promotional materials must meet the specs found on Addendum A (sent upon acceptance and be received NO LATER THAN 2/1/19 Please notify us in writing about any exceptions to this delivery date, otherwise you may forfeit your place in the program and the Annapolis Film Festival, Inc.
is under no obligation to screen a selected film.
9) Filmmakers agree to donate their submitted bluray backups to the Annapolis Film Festival, Inc. archive, where Annapolis Film Festival, Inc. staff may continue to review them after the conclusion of the festival. If you wish to opt out of this donation, please send an email to email@example.com and provide the festival with a prepaid mailer along with my submission.
10) The individual or corporation submitting the film warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for screening and understands and accepts these requirements and regulations. The undersigned shall indemnify and hold harmless the Annapolis Film Festival, Inc., Inc. from and against any and all disputes, arbitration, claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees, and costs of the court), which may be incurred by reason of any claim, including but not limited to third party claims involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to or the inability to screen videos entered. Please see the Terms and Conditions below. These will serve as your contract with the Annapolis Film Festival, Inc.
By submitting your film to the Annapolis Film Festival, Inc. for consideration in the 2019 Annapolis Film Festival you authorize and agree to the following terms below. (If you answer “No” then your film may not be programmed. Call festival office for clarification)
I am the authorized representative of the Film being submitted (hereafter called the “Project”) to the Annapolis Film Festival, Inc.
(hereafter called the “Festival”) for consideration for the 2019 Annapolis Film Festival (hereafter called the “Festival”), hereby acknowledge by clicking “Yes” to the following:
1. I represent and warrant to the Annapolis Film Festival, Inc. that:
(a) I am duly authorized, on my own behalf and on behalf of all other persons or entities who have any ownership rights or interests (including, without limitation, intellectual property rights) in or relating to the Project (hereafter called the “Project’s Owners”), to exhibit this Project at the Festival,
(b) exhibition of the Project at the Festival will not violate any law or any right or consent of any person or entity; and
(c) the Project is not subject to any litigation, arbitration, or other adversarial claim or proceeding, nor is the Project the subject of any threat of litigation, arbitration, or other adverse claim or proceeding.
2. I further represent and warrant, on behalf of myself and the Project’s Owners, that the exhibition of the Project at the Festival will not violate or infringe any copyright, patent, license, privacy right, publicity right, trademark, service mark or any other personal or property right of any person or entity, and that the Project does not constitute or include a defamation of any person or entity. I have paid and will pay in full all license fees, clearance fees, and other obligations, of any kind, arising from or associated with the exhibition of the Project at or in connection with the Festival and will deliver all materials in a timely fashion according to the formats set forth in DELIVERABLES.
3. In the event that the Project is accepted by the Annapolis Film Festival, for inclusion in the Festival, I acknowledge, on behalf of myself and the Project’s Owners, that the Festival’s exhibition or presentation of the Project at the Festival does not and will not create any confidential or fiduciary relationship between the Festival on the one hand and myself and/or the Project’s Owners on the other. I further acknowledge, on behalf of myself and the Project’s Owners, that I and we understand that neither I nor any of the Project’s Owners will receive any compensation for such exploitation. I acknowledge that no obligation of any kind is assumed by, or may be implied against, the Annapolis Film Festival, Inc., and its assigns in the event of, by virtue of, or as a result of the Festival’s selection of the Project for screening at the Festival. I and the Project’s Owners understand and acknowledge that the selection of the Project for inclusion in the Festival does not and will not in any way constitute an express or implied endorsement or approval by the Annapolis Film Festival, Inc. of the content of the Project or any opinion expressed therein.
4. I agree, on behalf of myself and each of the Project’s Owners, to indemnify and hold harmless the Annapolis Film Festival, Inc, together with each of their parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, employees, attorneys, creative advisors, agents and representatives (collectively, “Annapolis Film Festival, Inc,. Related Parties”), from and against any and all claims, losses, liabilities, damages, fees and expenses (including, but not limited to, reasonable attorneys’ fees and other costs) that may be asserted by any person or entity, or may be incurred by the Festival, or any Annapolis Film Festival, Inc. Related Parties, at any time in connection with the Project or the Festival’s use, handling or consideration thereof, and/or arising from any breach or alleged breach of any representation made by me to the Festival or any Annapolis Film Festival, Inc. Related Parties, including, without limitation, any express or implied representation in these Terms and Conditions.
5. I warrant and agree, on behalf of myself and each of the Project’s Owners, that the Project is being submitted to the Annapolis Film Festival, Inc. voluntarily and without promise or inducement, and that the submission of the Project neither imposes nor creates any obligation or responsibility on the part of the Festival, or any of the Festival’s Related Parties to accept the Project for inclusion in the Festival, to exhibit the Project at the Festival, to acknowledge the submission of the Project, or to return the Project to me or others. I further agree, on my own behalf and on behalf of the Project’s Owners, that I and the Project’s Owners, in submitting the Project for consideration, are waiving, forfeiting, foregoing and relinquishing any right that I or we might otherwise have to assert any claim or commence any proceeding in any forum or tribunal against the Festival, or any of the Festival’s Related Parties, based upon, arising out of or otherwise relating to the submission, exhibition or failure to exhibit the Project (including, without limitation, claims relating to any failure or refusal to exhibit the Project at the Festival, the exhibition or marketing of the Project at or in connection with the Festival, alleged oral or written representations by the Festival or its representatives relating to the submission or exhibition of the Project, and any other matters arising from or relating to the submission of the Project), whether such claims may be based on theories of contract, implied contract, tort, statute, or other legal theory (hereinafter, “Claim”). In the event that any Claim is asserted, or any action, arbitration or other proceeding is brought or commenced, in violation of the agreement set forth in the immediately preceding sentence, I agree, on my own behalf and on behalf of each of the Project’s Owners, to indemnify the Annapolis Film Festival, Inc. from any and all Claims, losses, liabilities, damages, fees and expenses (including, but not limited to, reasonable attorneys’ fees and other costs) that are incurred by the Festival and any of the Festival’s Related Parties as a result of or in connection with any such Claim or any action, arbitration or other proceeding brought in violation of the representations and agreements set forth in this paragraph, including, without limitation, reimbursement of all attorneys’ fees incurred or to be incurred by the Annapolis Film Festival, Inc., or any of the Festival’s Related Parties in connection with any Claim or any action, arbitration or other proceeding brought or initiated by me or any of the Project’s Owners or any other representative of, or person affiliated with, the Project.
6. Without in any way limiting the provisions or scope of the agreements set forth in paragraph 5 above, I further agree and accept that, in the event that any Claim is asserted, or any action, arbitration or other proceeding is brought or commenced, by me, any of the Project’s Owners, or any other representative of or person affiliated with the Project, in violation of the agreements set forth in paragraph 5 above, and in the further event that an arbitrator or other tribunal should permit such Claim to proceed despite the waiver language set forth in paragraph 5 above, the sole and maximum remedy that could be awarded to me or any other person or entity asserting any Claim shall be a refund of the submission fee paid in connection with the submission of the Project to the Annapolis Film Festival, Inc. for consideration for the Festival. Under no circumstances shall any other remedy, including without limitation actual, expectancy, reliance, consequential, special, punitive or exemplary damages, or any other damages, or injunctive, declaratory, provisional or other relief, be available to me, the Project’s Owners, or any other person or entity representing or affiliated with the Project. I, on behalf of myself and each of the Project’s owners, accept and expressly agree that this Agreement shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of the State of Maryland excepting its conflict of law rules. Any action or proceeding commenced with respect to this Agreement shall be brought in the courts of Anne Arundel County, Maryland, to which venue shall be restricted. I agree that in the event that any clause or provision of this Agreement is deemed invalid, the enforceability of the remaining provisions shall not be affected.
7. In the event that the Project is accepted by the Annapolis Film Festival, Inc. for inclusion in and exhibition at the Festival, I hereby grant, on behalf of myself and each of the Project’s Owners, each of the following rights to the Festival:
(a) the right to screen the Project publicly at the festival’s
official venues during the film festival
(b) the right to use approved partial footage, stills and/or titles, and information from or relating to the Project for promotional purposes; and
(c) the right to issue and authorize publicity concerning the filmmakers and the Project and to use all associated names, likenesses and biographical information. I also agree to provide up-to-date contact information pertaining to the director(s) and producer(s) of the Project.